Sunday, June 18, 2006

Accommodation & Clothes?!?

Last week a phone call with Hertford College's admissions confirmed that I had been allocated my first choice of accommodation; a room in the Graduate Centre (left). This (along with the library at Said Business School) will be my home from the end of September onwards and seems perfect (and only about a mile away from School).

And so another task gets completed in the lead up to the start of Michaelmas Term (the first term).

Sub Fusc

One of the items that caused a lot of discussion during our meeting in Richmond last week was the definition of 'Sub Fusc'. So after some searching I think that I have a definitive answer:
"sub" means "under" or "beneath" and "fusc" means "drab" or "black".
Got it? No, neither did I, so some further digging came up with the following:
A dark suit, white shirt, white bow tie, black gown and mortar board. Apparently, Sub fusc must be worn for Matriculation (official ceremony granting students entry to Oxford University), all exams, other formal events (I think) and finally (hopefully) graduation. I am actually quite looking forward to wearing it for the first time...I wonder how hot it will be wearing it all when taking exams. Only time will tell.


Gratuitous photo of Hertford College's Bridge of Sighs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home