Monday, September 11, 2006

College Registration

Today, on a daytrip to Oxford I managed to register at my college (Hertford) and with that came my Oxford University ID card, plus all 1,140 pages of the 2006 Exam Regulations book. No, that is not a typo: there is a book (which every student gets) with over 1,000 pages of exam rules and regulations. Note the thickness in the photo on the right.

Actually, there is a lovely story in a blog which I read a while ago about a student who (having read elements of the book) turned up to an exam and 'demanded the mug of beer that he was entitled to'. After much scurrying around and checking, the invigilators stated that they would (of course) agree to his demand, just as soon as he laid down his sword. Thats what you get with 800 years of tradition... I think its great!

In addition to this registration, Janet, at the Hertford College Graduate Centre, kindly showed my around the room which is to be mine for the comming year. It is larger than I expected, ensuite (which I had hoped) and seems perfectly adequate. The view outside is also very pleasant. I also saw my kitchen (shared between 7 people), a laundry room, a common room and a computer room. One thing that is great is that not only do all the rooms have LAN there is also WIFI as well. I must admit, it really is a class above the accomodation that I had when I was studying for my first degree, I am looking forward to moving in.It was a great day, and to top it off, I took my sister along to give her a feel of what I am going to experience. I really hope that she and her husband manage to come and visit when I am established. It would be great to show them around properly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home